About GT Scholars
The GT Scholar’s programme is a social enterprise that consists of two programmes: The Academic Programme which offers online one-to-one tutoring and the Awards Programme that focuses on mentoring.
As part of both programmes, we also offer free access to our enrichment and skill building events that are hosted throughout London. These events are designed for young people aged 11-18 years of age and include activities such as STEM activity days, study skill workshops and career days and trips to the city. We also run parent workshops and community engagement events to ensure that parents are aware of the academic and career opportunities available to their children.
What makes us different?
There are a range of charitable organisations and social enterprises offering programmes to improve the life chances of young people. However, The GT Scholars programme has the capacity to work with all state school pupils, not just those on Free School Meals. This means that pupil parents do not have to be on benefits and pupils do not need to be referred by their school in order to qualify for support.
What does volunteering at an event involve?
Volunteers who are interested in getting involved and supporting us at our events can help assist with various tasks and responsibilities.
- You will need to arrive on time. If an event starts at 10:00am you will need to be there by 9:30am to meet the team and gain an overview of the event with the event coordinator.
- You will help with setting up and clearing up at events.
- You will assist to coordinate a smooth arrival and registration as well as departure for attendees and other guests. This can also include maintaining the register and managing any late attendees.
- Assist with the coordination of lunch or refreshments for attendees.
- Support workshop facilitators with managing groups of young people or parents.
- Help with the distribution of stationary and workshop material.
- Assist the event coordinator with ensuring the health and safety of attendees and overall risk management at events.
- Give feedback to the event coordinators and programme managers at the end of each event.
When and where do our events take place?
Our events take place throughout various parts of London. Our events mostly take place on Saturdays from 10am to 4pm and we often have some events on weekday evenings, like our volunteer meetups, which takes place from 6pm to 9pm.
How much time do Event Team Volunteers commit to?
This is a flexible volunteering role. You will be volunteering as part of the Events Team and you’ll need to be available for approximately 6 events per year. All of our events take place on the weekend or weekday evenings and range from 2 to 8 hours in length.
To get started you’ll need to:
Be passionate and committed to tackling educational inequality
- Be able to support at events as part of a diverse Events Team
- Enjoy working with children and young people
- Be able to remain calm under pressure
- Be punctual and organised
- Possess strong communication skills
- Have excellent time management skills
- Be able to work well as part of a team
Other important information for this role:
Please note that this is a volunteering role where you will be interacting with young people, therefore the following information must be noted:
- Enhanced DBS check – Before you can join the Events Team you will need to have a valid Enhanced DBS check that is dated within the last three years. If you do not have one we can process one for you. Please contact our office for further information on this.
- Pictures – Please refrain from taking any pictures on the day, especially of the young people this forms part of our data and security policy. The volunteer photographer/videographer at the event will be responsible for capturing the day.
- GDPR – To ensure we comply with the latest GDPR rules all data must be treated as confidential and must be returned to the events coordinator at the end of the event. Especially documents such as the attendance register.
- Training – You will be provided with support and training for your role and will be briefed with any additional information on the day of the event.
- Travel expenses -Any travel expenses within London will be reimbursed up to the amount of £12 for any session.
How to apply: Please attach your CV and a short cover letter through our contact form.