You have no items in your cart.
Course title: Girl Meets Code
Location: Online & London
Who is this course for? Girls aged 12-16
Recommended age: 12-16
Next intake date: Year-roundGet Started with Girl Meets Code
Is your daughter aged between 12 to 16? Do they have an interest in coding and technology?
The #GirlMeetsCode Summer Programme could be perfect for your teen!
Location: London & Online
Application Deadline for Summer Programme: Tuesday 25th July 2023
Summer Programme Date: Monday 14th August – Friday 18th August 2023
There is a summer programme and a year-round programme. Please use this link to apply and state which programme you’re applying for: Girl Meets Code Application Form
GT Scholars will be running the Girl Meets Code programme to introduce girls aged 12-16 to the world of coding and technology.
Statistics show that:
-The total number of girls taking either ICT or computer science at GCSE was 21% in 2021 (National Technology News, 2021)
-Only one in six school leavers starting a degree in computer science in 2018 was female (Women in tech industry, AIM Group 2019)
-Employers want to recruit people with skills in technology as this is in demand. However, girls feel they don’t have enough information about what it’s like to work in the technology sector (Women in Tech, PWC 2020)
Why is this so important?
Women make up around 50% of the workforce in the UK, however, in tech, 24% of roles are filled by women (The impact of women in tech, Lloyds 2023). There are approximately 2 million jobs in technology, and tech employers are actively seeking to increase the diversity in their workplace and hire more women into challenging, well-paid careers within the technology space.
What is the programme about?
This programme has been designed to help girls aged 12-16 learn about the world of technology and coding. We’ll be looking at a broad range of digital topics within creative coding. Girls that attend the workshops will work together to think of ways to use technology to solve everyday problems and ultimately learn how much fun coding can be when used to bring ideas to life!
This programme aims to support girls by increasing their confidence to pursue a career in tech, coding or any career of choice, improving their leadership, communication & soft skills and providing support from role models & mentors.
This programme does not require any previous coding experience as they will be guided through the content. The girls will participate in workshops that will be run by our knowledgeable volunteers and workshop facilitators.
Activities will include an introductory talk about coding and its applications, practical coding activities, and the opportunity to have lots of fun in the process!
- Please make sure that you fill in the application form to join the programme. The form can be found here: https://forms.gle/ArypQBhjDs23K4gr9
- The free 5-day programme will be running online and it will run from Monday 14th August to Friday 18th August 2023
- Please note that the in-person summer programme and online summer programme are exactly the same
- If you prefer to join us in person, we’ll be hosting 2 days near Clapham Junction (London) on Monday 14th August and Friday 18th August 2023. Tickets for this will be released in early August
- If you are joining us for the in-person workshops, please bring your own laptop. We have a limited number of additional laptops available so please let us know in advance if you are unable to bring your own
- Please note that there will be video recordings and photography at the workshops.
GT Scholars is a social enterprise that runs a range of mentoring, personal development and career insight programmes for young people. Our mission is to empower the next generation of leaders, aged 11-18, by providing support, skills and strategies needed to design their own futures. If you’d like to know more about GT Scholars and future events, workshops and opportunities, please subscribe to our newsletter here: www.gtscholars.org/subscribe