Course type: Workshop
Course code: A051
Course title: Is university worth it?
Who is this course for? Parents & Young people
Recommended age: Age 14+
Next date & time: TBC
What is this workshop about?
This is a 3 hour family workshop that discusses the various post 16 options for your child such apprenticeships, further education and university.
This workshop aims to answer the following questions – What are the benefits of getting a degree? How much will it cost to get a degree? What are some of the best degree courses to improve my career prospects? How many years will it take to pay back any loans? What scholarships or bursaries are available? Is university still worth it?
The decision about going to university is largely dependent on your personal goals and ambitions. We hope that by the end of the workshop, you will be able to make an informed choice and take the steps needed to decide if a degree is the right path for you.
During the workshop you will have the chance to find out the facts about degrees and apprenticeships. You’ll also have the opportunity to hear from undergraduates, graduates, apprentices and professionals that have completed their apprenticeships.
What will you get from this workshop?
This short workshop aims to help you:
- Get a better idea of the cost of getting a degree and repayment terms if you take out a student loan
- Learn about some of the top careers and degrees that provide the greatest return on investment
- Gain an idea of some of the other benefits of university – not just the degree
- Find out about the benefits of apprenticeships and the sort of roles you can enter through apprenticeship schemes
- Learn about your overall earning potential in a range of careers
- Get a better understanding of the careers that require degrees and those that don’t
- Make an informed decision about doing an apprenticeship or getting a degree
Who should attend?
This family workshop is tailored to parents and young people that would like to know more about university degrees, the cost of university and the benefits of apprenticeships.
The workshop provides an opportunity to ask questions from graduates, undergraduates, apprentices and professionals that have completed their apprenticeships.
If your child is unsure which route to take to achieve your career goals, then this workshop is an excellent opportunity to begin to address this.
Other notes: Light refreshments are provided as part of the fee for any half day events and short workshops. If you have access needs or special dietary requirements please state this when you book your place.
Bursaries: We have a limited number of bursaries available for our courses, workshops and programmes. Please fill this form if you would like to apply for reduced fees. Please note that bursaries do not include travel costs.
Fee: This workshop is free for young people with household income under £16,190. A fee may be applicable if your total household income is above £16,190.
Next date: TBC
How to book: If you would like to receive email and text notifications for the course ‘Is university worth it?’, please enter your name and contact details below.
Latest posts by GT Scholars (see all)
- In the Know – Engage your senses! - March 15, 2019
- Volunteer Spotlight – Claire - March 14, 2019
- 7 Things to look into if you are considering obtaining your Degree in the USA - March 11, 2019